Tuesday, June 14, 2005

In response to "mad"

I guess I should be a little less poetic when it comes to sharing my political views, so that some people have a better chance at understanding what I mean, rather than describing my writing as "over-the-top drama queen stuff".

Dear "mad", you cannot expect me to applaude the elections that brought Aoun to the parliament on such a glory march just because they were contested and democratic. Let's look at the facts for a second, shall we?

Aoun is a one man show, while the opposition is a coalition with well-defined purposes and ideals.

Aoun, who was NOT willing to compromise changed allies like underwear and ended up joining hands with Murr and Franjiyyeh, the paradigms of feudal secterianism and pro-syrian politics.

Aoun said that Lahoud need not step down, Lahoud you know, that swimmer president guy who managed to become everybody's shameful laughingstock. Lahoud who was tapped on the cheeks by Assad the father at the time of his first election. But Lahoud is General Lahoud after all. Maybe it's just a matter of brothers in arms stuff, you know, unconditional military respect, the kind which us civilians are not very familiar with.

Sooooooo... correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that every action this man has ever taken had one and only one purpose, to get to power. And that's exactly what he did in 1989 and 1990 with his war against Syria and the LFs. He has such a mind-boggling record of overlooking all reasonable and rational considerations to conquer the spotlights and impose his crazy ideals indiscriminately on his followers and adversaries.

But let's give the guy a break for a second and take a look at those who voted for him. They're all after an image, a new fearless leader who doesn't give a damn about anything except what he believes in, right? Well cut me some slack buddy but democracy is not about replacing one tyrant by another. Democracy is not about conducting free elections and henceforth choosing more worthless leaders to add to the pile of shit that we already have.

Democracy is when all the clutter and crap that is still sitting up in its ivory towers, the likes of Jumblatt, Berri, Franjiyyeh, Karame, Murr.. (the list is endless) is brought down and pushed out, and a brand new country is built on a brand new clean slate where all the war criminals and feudal lords have nothing to hope for and nothing to expect.

And that's what the lebanese people will hardly ever be able to change or truly understand, because they're intrinsically divided, intrinsically weak, and intrinsically incapable of rising as a human tide that needs to destroy in order to build again on the ruins of an unworthy past.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just go back to sleep and keep dreaming!!! Sensorship runs in you veins I guess

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the detailed answer. I won't go over it point by point as I am sure you must read the usual blogs who make some of my points.

Only two things, I'll mention here.

You said
Sooooooo... correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that every action this man has ever taken had one and only one purpose, to get to power.

FYI, Aoun wants power but not at any price, he could have been president instead of Lahoud, and could have avoided 15 years of exile by kissing Syrian butt. So he obviously wants something else too.

Re Democracy: you seem to be saying the "people" or "voters" are idiots and voted for the wrong guy. Fine, what is the answer then? Going to you for guidance, or other intellectuals, or the Lider Maximo, or the theocrats? I hope you know the answer to that last rhetorical question. If not, commiserate with Chirac, and look up Churchill Winston's famous quote.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Fouad said...

to the anonymous above:

Censorship, no. Cleaning up clutter, yes. Say something of substance before deeming yourself worthy of censorship.

Mad:

Aoun will never kiss anybody's butt. He wants power, but he also wants the heroic halo that comes with it.
As far as who to vote for, and what to do, I believe that only drastic measures can shake up this sorry political landscape. And I am not sure any of the current politicians is worthy of our trust or following.
I won't lie to you, I used to love Aoun and was hoping that, with his brio and principles, he would be the leader we were all looking for.
I was bitterly disappointed.
There is though, one feeble ray of hope I'm secretly hanging on to, and that's the possibility of a brilliantly ingenious plan that Aoun has up his sleeve to get us all out of this horrible mess. I don't think that's going to happen but hey, I guess some positivity doesn't hurt too much, does it.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Eve said...

No matter what you'll say Thermo, they'll never broaden their horizon. Khalas, for them, the people is not sectarian (walaw), Aoun is the true Savior, and the only logical argument you'll hear is "keep dreaming". Khalas, you have no right to express your own opinion on your own blog!

ya3neh, 3an jad...

1:57 AM  
Blogger Fouad said...

eh ya eve.. it feels like the third Reich doesn't it. Democracy and freedom of speech revisited. I wonder who will they turn to when the shit hits the fan and Napoleaoun takes off his mask and rears his ugly head...

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still say all of you need to go back to sleep! or better yet put you chameleom God Jumblat on a pedestal and worship him...

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they'll never broaden their horizon.

?????
Ok Eve, who the hell do you think you are? Arrogant creepette from hell, are you a mind reader and a future teller like all lefties?

Thermo, go back to poetry, I don't know how good yours is, but got to be better than your understanding of politics and history.


I'll go broaden my horizons somewhere else now, and leave you snots to congratulate each other on being part of the out-of-touch elite..

PS Still no answer to the q: If you don't trust the people, who should choose?

8:42 PM  
Blogger Ramzi said...

Is this how you respond to a political post? Is this level of cheap personal blows the best you can do?! Why comment at all?!!!

3:54 PM  
Blogger Eve said...

Isn't it strange, Ramzi, that he felt he was the concerned one by the "they" in my comment? I guess I should say: "I rest my case". But anyway, I won't go down to replying to him; my post is more than enough.

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home