Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Last Moon in September

I told her I wanted to be free. She said you can. Sharpen your pencil and start a new story. Draw a new face, an ugly face on a wall somewhere in the clean city. Scratch with colored pencil and charcoal the white asylum walls where you spend many moons without a window. It's the last moon in September. That's when all stories begin. That's when you'll remember your story began.

Her name was the night. She knew I was born to be lonely, and she came to be lonely with me. I built a small sand castle and let her in. I cried as I was leaving. But it was written that I would never leave.

She said I was beautiful. But she's the night and everything is beautiful in her eyes. When she throws her black cape over the desolate city, the spiders and the monsters hide between old bricks and under sidewalk trees, and all you see are shining apartment windows, sleepless cars, shaded lamps on old porches, and flickering red and green neon lights. She said we were all beautiful. I crawled out and fell asleep on a bed of her eyelashes.

It's the last moon in September. They say nothing ever changes. But I will sharpen my pencil and scribble a new story on a dirty wall. Maybe then I will forget all my ugly faces. Maybe I will remember who I am.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful~~~

10:35 PM  
Blogger Erzulie said...

ditto :**

11:01 PM  
Blogger Rampurple said...

I have told you over and over again how much I adore your posts. I keep looking forward to your next post.

This post can be understood in several ways...

2:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you chant to 'the night' and your friend sings to 'the light'.. lucky us readers to witness the unravelling of your beautiful stories :)

7:29 PM  
Blogger Fouad said...

one- ekhteshi

two- I have no idea what you're talking about

8:11 PM  
Blogger Laila K said...

mirvat..us readers have been more than lucky with the unravelling of yours habibteh :)

9:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hahaha
mine don't unravel, they collapse ;)
that's why stories like fouad's give me hope..

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tes histoires sont toujours un régal. raconte encore s'il te plaît...

6:54 AM  
Blogger Maya@NYC said...

beautiful! so romantic... so in love... happy for you, even without knowing you..or her

11:13 AM  
Blogger Ghassan said...

try watercolor this time. more vibrant.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

hello! found your blog on itoot, and i really like your writing. just wanted to let you know! :)

p.s. out of curiosity do you write anything in arabic?

4:32 PM  
Blogger Fouad said...

yes amanda, I do. Arabic is my preferred language by far. I especially write arabic poetry, and have published a small book of poems a few years ago.

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful!
I'm sober now!

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home