Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas Angus Burger Spirit

San Antonio Airport.

I'm struggling at a MacDonald's cash register to find in the mess of my two bags, coat and many pockets, the one dime I need to close my bill. The young mexican employee at the register tells me not to worry about it and hands me my drink and receipt. I'm a little surprised, but thank her and settle down. "212!" quickly announces the arrival of my Deluxe Angus Burger, snugly wrapped and eagerly waiting to be devoured.

Ten minutes later, with a hint of mayonnaise on my whiskers and a faint scent of onions on my hands, I approach the cash register where the Mexican girl is standing and extend my right arm to her. Thank you for you generosity, I mumble. Happy holidays. Her face lights up. Thank you! she squeals as she tugs on the 20 dollar bill from between my fingers. I release the cash, turn around, get my coat and bags and walk towards the gate.

Gate 7, San Antonio Airport. Christmas carols are playing over my head. A fausse-blonde is sitting in front of me staring at her laptop and listening to her iPod while a huge grin is diametrically distending her cheeks. People are chatting and watching a football game. Children are playing and making a mess. And I'm sitting there watching and savoring the leftover taste of a satisfying meal.

Boy that was an expensive burger, I thought to myself smiling. Next time I should remember to keep all my coins in one place.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Delirious said...

"a hint of mayonnaise on my whiskers" :):):)

your story is so sweet, Foo.

keep 'em coming!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Angie Nader said...

that so sound like a entry out of a book...haha
christmas is the best!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Joumana said...

You just blew your cover, Santa!

5:20 AM  
Blogger cathryn said...

This post put a smile on my face :)

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home