Saturday, December 23, 2006

On my way home

Full flight from Nashville to Atlanta. A family of eight. And Nan.

Nan: This is going to be the best Birthday ever. I can't wait to get to Indiana.

Daughter#1: Nan, it's Christmas. We're going to Florida.

Nan: Are we really? I thought we were going to Nashville! HAHAHAHA!

All the family (and me more discretely): HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Nan: So why are we going to Nashville?

Daughter#2: No Nan, we're going to Florida. For Christmas. Are you excited?

Nan: No I am not!

Grandson (to Daughter#3 in the seat behind him): She asked Nan if she was excited to go to Florida and Nan said no I'm not! Hahahahaha!

Daughter#3: Oh Nan! Hahahahaha!

Nan: I'm glad we're going to Nashville. I miss Nashville (Nan smiles. Everyone around her smiles too)

(Silence. The captain makes an announcement)

Nan: Did you hear that?

Daughter#1: What Nan?

Nan: The captain said I am not on the plane! am I on the plane? because if I am not on the plane you need to go get me.

Daughter#2: Nan you are with us on the plane. And we're going to Florida.

Nan: Okay. Good. Good. (Pause) Because I would hate you to leave me behind.

(Silence. The plane starts moving)

Daughter#1: Nan? Where are we going?

Nan: And how the hell should I know! I'm just going along..

We're all just going along. Beirut tomorrow, and like you, I don't know where I'm going.
The plane takes off, I'm strangely sad, I start reading but I quickly fall asleep. Short flight. I'm woken up by landing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Zee said...

The Christmas time is supposed to include 12 holy nights ,,, so it just started.

Have a wonderful time, whatever you celebrate Fouad.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Mia said...

Happy New Year and Eid Mubarak!
May the coming year make your wishes of peace, and happiness come true.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHERE ARE YOU??? we missed you..

2:22 AM  
Blogger Khawwta said...

Nice post
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home