Saturday, February 18, 2006

Chiaroscuro


 

This comes a little late but I'll post it anyway.

I've always believed that stark contrasts between different composition elements, thrown within a single visual frame, bring out considerable esthetic value and pictorial intensity, values I constantly seek to achieve as I tackle the sensory world around me with a camera or a paintbrush in hand.

What contrast often does is project through dissonance a sense of complementarity and equilibrium, or disequilibrium for that matter, that would otherwise be evasive to the observing eye, and if not evasive, then often not powerful enough to stir viewers and leave a definitive mark in their minds.

Having said that, the contrast evoked by images depicting people who have nothing in common but their self-serving disparate agendas, mascarading harmony and union to a naively optimistic, if not credulous crowd, stirs not an emotion of esthetic satisfaction, but one of utter disgust.

I just hope these pictures and mental images remain vivid when the sad lebanese governing "elite" goes back to its ritualistic name-calling, finger-pointing and poison-spitting, and we, the free and powerful youth, go back to our daily ranting, raving, and blaming everyone but ourselves routine.

4 Comments:

Blogger nour said...

indeed, this is an amazing shot, fouad..

i also agree with u on the first paragraph..

8:56 AM  
Blogger Fouad said...

Thank you nour for your compliment and for agreeing with some of what I said :)

3:50 PM  
Blogger Jamal said...

I wasn't there and I don't trust history books, so I don't know how it was and what to think. Are "the elite" on their last breaths? Or has it always looked this way to us the ever hopeful people? a people always dazzled and dizzied by the chiaroscuro painted for us?

10:17 AM  
Blogger Fouad said...

They're not on their last breaths... we are.

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home